Geography Syllabus A WJEC
The aim of this course is for pupils to:
- acquire knowledge and understanding of a range of places, environments and geographical patterns at a range of scales.
- develop a sense of place and appreciation of the environment, as well as awareness of the ways in which people and environments interact.
- appreciate that the study of Geography is dynamic, not only because places, geographical features, patterns and issues change, but also because new ideas and methods lead to new interpretations.
- acquire and apply the skills and techniques, including those of map work, fieldwork and ICT needed to conduct geographical study and enquiry.
The syllabus contains two units:
Unit 1: The Core
The Physical World
Water- River processes and landforms and managing rivers
Climate Change- Causes and effects of climate change and reducing its impact
Living in an Active Zone- Hazards at plate margins and reducing the risk
A Global World
Changing Populations- World population distribution and future changes in distribution and structure
Interdependence-Trends in globalisation and impacts of globalisation
Development- Measuring patterns of development and achieving the Millennium Development Goals
Unit 2: Options
Our Changing Coast line- Coastal processes and landforms, managing coasts and future coastlines
Weather and Climate- Climate patterns in the UK, weather hazards and reducing the risks
Retail and Urban Change- renewing city centres, patterns of retailing in cities, global impact of changing consumer choices.
During the two year course, the above themes will be developed through a variety of means, including local and global case studies. Emphasis will be on developing research, problem solving, fieldwork and map work skills,
Pupils will participate in a variety of fieldwork activities including local fieldwork as well as a Residential Fieldwork Course.
- 40% of the final mark will come from Unit 1
- 35% of the final mark will come from Unit 2
- 25% of the final mark will come from a geographical enquiry completed under exam conditions