GCSE Science has undergone big changes since September 2010. The Science Department offers several ways for the children to reach their potential.
Science is divided into three GCSE courses as shown below:
- GCSE Additional Science (examined at end of Year 10 &11);
- BTEC Level 2 (Extended Certificate): Applied Science;
- GCSE Separate Sciences (examined at end of Year 10 & 11).
| ||Additional Science||Applied Science BTEC Level 2|
|Number of lessons per fortnight||9||9||9 (Bl.10)|
|Course length||2 years||2 years||2 years|
|Number of GCSEs gained at end of Yr.11||2||Certificate BTEC Level 2 (equivalent to two GCSE A*-C)||3|
The above table shows how the course differs in number of lessons per two week period as well as the number of GCSEs gained at the end of Year 11.
Pupils will be allocated one of the three courses above.
How does the Science Department choose the most appropriate course for each pupil?
We consider the following:
- The course which would allow the pupil to reach his/her potential;
- Level of interest shown in Science Years 7 to 9.
What’s the difference between “Separate Sciences” and “Additional Science”?
- same level of difficulty but more content in the Separate Sciences course;
- Pupils studying Separate Sciences only do Information Technology in Year 10 (leading to a short course qualification).
What about BTEC Level 2: Applied Science (see separate sheet)?
This is an ideal course for pupils who want to leave school a recognized qualification in Science and are good independent learners. If you know you don’t perform well in examinations yet can excel in portfolio work, then this is probably a good course to study. It is a different method of assessment to GCSE.
Your teachers will be having honest conversations with you soon, with regards to the most appropriate course for you.
A Science qualification is needed for the following jobs:
- Teacher (every subject not just “Science”)
- Forensic scientist
- Civil Engineer
- Environmental Health Officer
- Scientific Researcher
- Sports scientist
- Sound Engineer
- Speech and Language Therapist
…..as well as hundreds of other professions.